Health, Medical, Brain Tumor, Schwannoma, Resection, CyberKnife, & a U.S.Marine

wonky-eye.com header image 2

Methadone Withdrawal Update – He is on Day 8 today.

May 27th, 2009 · 15 Comments

It has been 8 days since Travis has been Methadone free.  The last 8 days have not been easy for Travis but he is taking things one day at a time.  While Travis has been dealing with the Methadone withdrawal he has also been tapering off of his Neurontin.  Less than a month ago he was taking 1000mg 3 times a day.  He is now down to 300mg 3 times a day.  Travis is still taking Vicodin 500mg 3 times a day.

Wednesday was day 1 of being Methadone free.  Travis was able to go golfing after his pain management appointment.  Although Travis was a little achy I think that there was still Methadone in his system from the days before.

Thursday was day 2, Travis stayed in bed most of the day.

Friday was day 3, Travis stayed in bed again.  His systems are cold chills, irritability, achnyness, loss of appetite, stomach upset, restless nights, insomnia just to name a few.  Travis did not feel like doing much of anything.  I pushed him to get up and take a shower.  He was not in the move to move but I thought that a long shower may make him feel better.  The shower actually gave him some relief and I think he stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out.

Saturday was day 4, Travis went sailing!  We were invited to join a good friend on her sailboat.  I mentioned it to Travis and he was eager to go.  I was not sure it was such a good idea but if he wanted to try it I was going to support him.  He took to Dramamine to prevent motion sickness as well as his morning dose of Vicodin and Neurontin.  The mix of the 3 medications knocked him out and he took a short nap while we were sailing.  Other than the nap he did pretty well on our 4 hour sailing trip but by the end of the trip he had reached his limit and was ready to go home.  We went home slept again and rested the remainder of the evening.

Sunday was day 5, was pretty much like day 2.  Travis was not feeling well and he stayed in bed most of the day.

Monday was day 6, Travis started the day off in bed and complained of the list of symptoms listed above.  I did some research and find some info online that recommended a cocktail of vitamins and supplements to take to help the detox process.  I made a list of the “ingredients” and we went off to the health food store.  We bought most of what was suggested and it put us back $40, well worth it if it was going to provider Travis some relief.    Once we got back to the store I encourage Travis to play the Wii.  I noticed that when he is up and moving around he seems to feel better than when he lays in bed.  He played Tiger Woods golf for over an hour and seemed to enjoy himself.  That night he started his first round of the supplements.  One that may have worked was the Melatonin.  Travis has complained that he has been unable to sleep.  I gave him the Melatonin and within 30 minutes he was sleeping.  Either his body had enough and he was going to sleep either way or the Melatonin worked.  Regardless, he got better nights sleep.

Tuesday was day 7, this was a great day.  (Travis woke up with the same list of symptoms.) Travis’ cell phone rang at 6:40am.  He did not answer the call; he let it go to voice mail.  I was in the shower and he came to tell me that the early morning call was a long awaited job offer.  Travis had been waiting on this offer for almost 2 months.  This was a nice way to start off the day.  I went to work and later on he called me and mentioned that he had an appointment with a college counselor.  I wanted him to go but I would not have been disappointed with him had he skipped it.  I would have been so easy to use his withdrawal as an excuse to miss the appointment but instead he gathered his strength, drove to the college, and made his appointment with the counselor.  I was so proud of him.  After the appointment he picked up our daughter from school.  Then he rested in bed the remainder of the evening.  He took the Melatonin (along with the rest of the supplements) and fell asleep shortly after.

So far what I have noticed is that although this is a painful process for him, getting out of bed and moving around helps him feels better.  Also making him laugh distracts him from his pain and discomfort.  Laughter is the best medicine!

Tags: detox · Dr. Moon San Diego · everyday life · family · Gabapentin · insomnia · memory · Methadone · Methadone Detox · mood · nerve damage · Neurontin · Neurontin Information · Pain Management · San Diego · stress · support · update · useful information · usefull info · Vicodin · Withdrawal

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 makalbo // Jul 12, 2009 at 01:02

I read your article with great pleasure. Thank you.

• 2 j // Nov 10, 2009 at 00:33

This is, without a doubt, the most pleasant methadone detox I’ve ever heard of in my life!

Sailing!

Sleeping!

Be glad your husband was detoxing off of 10 mg, not 40, or 100! Also, congratulations on his improved condition in general from your other blog post!

• 3 mrs.ladyking // Apr 27, 2010 at 09:41

I assure you it was far from pleasant. I had no business being out on the boat and I later paid for it. I went for my wife. I would do anything for her as she has been by my side through it all. I am still detoxing per say and it has been difficult.

-Travis

• 4 Brian // Aug 16, 2010 at 08:50

Pushing thru the Storm

What an experience getting off methadone. I am writing this article to assist in my recovery. Getting off methadone, the pain and hell that I went through, is an experience that I will use to motivate myself to stay clean and proactive. I remember the confidence I had to build prior to attempting yto detox off methadone. I assume the reason your reading about my experience is so you can get a sense of what’s to come when you attempt your detox experience. I too did a lot of research on the net reading blogs and research on the detox symptoms on health sites. Apparently detoxing off methadone takes roughly 3 to 4 weeks. Don’t let that discourage you! If your anything like me, I’m an average Joe weighing roughly 170lbs at age 33, than you too can succeed on your quest to cut that ball and chain.
    Now I was on a daily dose of 95mg. What I did was I had my daily intake cut down to 30 mg. Now I did feel the detox effects, but surprisingly that detox experience was pleasantly easy. I would take my dose of 30mg right before I work, and that allowed me stay functional. Now when the work day came to an end, I experienced some mild discomfort. So I would then finish all parental responsibilities, and go to bed early. That way I can sleep the discomfort away. Now I admit getting up in the morning is harder than usual, but I would push through the pain and discomfort and begin the cycle again. It took me about a week to get my body rebalanced. I stayed on 30 mg for roughly a month. I then decided I was ready to quit cold turkey, and here I am, alive and well! Over coming my addiction is a wonderful feeling, but I know that the battle isn’t over.. On my 23rd day, my mental health is roughly 70%. I am currently experiencing strange high and low emotions. I feel like a woman going through metapause. So I have an appointment scheduled for a mental health physician. I suggest you be proactive and set up a mental health appointment before you begin your detox. Also it is important to take vitamins while you detox. You most likely be too sick to eat, but it is very important to try to maintain your nutrition needs. If your body isn’t happy, than your mind wont be happy.
    Now the key to successfully detox off methadone, is to maintain your determination, and to remember why your quitting in the first place! Wanting to better provide for my son was my motivation. Just looking at him, helped me to keep pushing forward. Now the detox experience was the most exhausting and miserable experience of my life. You will get sick and tired of being sick and tired! Stay determined and keep pushing forward. Now I must warn you, YOU CANNOT DETOX ALONE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU’RE A SINGLE PARENT! I say this for you and your children’s safety. Your first week will be the worst week you will ever experience. Doing simple tasks will become exhausting! You will feel incredibly heavy. The chills will haunt you, and I became very cold for roughly 2 weeks. Your body’s natural response is to go to sleep when your sick. You will feel sick, but another symptom of methadone detox is restlessness. Roughly my 5th day I began to experience insomnia. I remember laying down tossing and turning because I felr this deep tickling sensation in all my joints. That very sensation inhibited me from getting any sleep . My sleep deprevation intensified the detox symptoms, and I was truly miserable. I was so exhausted for not sleeping for multiples days. It got so bad I’ve experienced hallucinations and I was on the brink of insanity. I am blessed to have my brother on my side supporting me in my recovery. I wouldn’t be where I am today without his help. We eventually went to a physician to help alleviate my symptoms, and most importantly prescribe a medication to help me sleep. Now the medications prescribed did help immensely, and my days began to get better from there! Now recovering from Methadone is a long process. You will eventually get sick and tired of being sick and tired. Its more like, as a day or two go by, your level of misery will drop from a 10 to a 9. Another day or two go by and your level will drop to an 8. Now I am on my 23rd day and I can honestly rate my level at 3. But thankfully I am functional. I was functional by my 15th day. I hope my experience will help you in your quest to better your life! Your success will be very rewarding, and your quality of life will get better as time goes by. Stay determined and use your experience as a tool to keep yourself motivated! You can do it. Just keep pushing thru the storm, and remember the misery is only temporary. Wise words spoken from a true poet (Bob Marley) “Everythings Gonna Be Alright!”
    GOOD LUCK!

• 5 jason // Nov 18, 2010 at 23:49

how long was he taking methadone

• 6 Tracey // Jan 17, 2012 at 06:07

I’m on a very high dose of methadone…205mgs/day. I want to start coming down. I was told that on such a high dose I could easily come down as much as 20 mgs and not feel it. That seems unlikely. What do any of you think about a safe amount that won’t make me sick…I was thinking about going down 5mgs per day??????? Pls help. I dont want this ball and chain anymore!

• 7 Cyber-Net-Tick // Jan 30, 2012 at 06:49

Well i can say so far that im on day 6 and its hell,i have been on methadone for 6 years at about 80 mg a day—@ Tracey , just take it very slow and go at 1 week to 2 weeks to drop doses and do them at 5mg, the trick is to get your body regulated and at a stable dose for a week or 2 to be safe and take it slow, there is no need to be uncomfortable while reducing doses, 205 mg is gonna be very tough and a long process to do it the right way,i would also seek a doctor for help with the symptoms you are gonna have when you get down to a very low dose and then quit , i found clonidine and promethazine very helpfull , but still having cns problems,leg twitching,cold all the time,insomnia, but symptoms are bearable all except the sleep part , and the feeling of being hit by a mack truck everyday, drink tons of water,and vitamins are your friend , sweat ,sweat ,sweat, exercise when u feel up to it and try to stay busy……..

• 8 Kurtis // May 25, 2012 at 17:15

I have been on methadone for 6 years now. I am 24 wow scary to say that. 4 days and 8 hours ago i took my last dose which was 7 mg. i tapered down from 120. At a level of 205 Mgs you should be able to go down 5 A WEEK without feeling anything that resembles significant withdrawal. You may feel sick in the morning, but you probably do already on some mornings. Its worth it so do it. I feel extremely horrible, but i can type and it helps haha. Been searching the internet for other testimonials.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

• 9 Sarah // Sep 23, 2012 at 05:33

Travis,

You are truly an inspiration. After being in the hospital for a rare type of tumor that almost killed me, I had surgery and was eventually put on methodone for chronic pain. Now, 3 years later we want to have a family and I want my baby to not have withdrawals from methodone. I am on almost my 2nd week off of methodone. I was slowly weened off by my doctor but once I hit the 5mg a day, I started having discomfort and withdrawals. Now the only complaint I have is that I cannot sleep. I toss and turn all night and I also have no energy. I wanted to see the list of vitamins your wife recommended but, the link goes to a blank page. Could you post the list or email me? I just want to be able to sleep and function everyday at work. It seems like I get maybe 2 to 3 hours of good sleep at night and that’s it. I know this is all worth it but, it sure puts a strain on your body not to mention my husband does not sleep because I am not sleeping. Any help you can provide would be so helpful 🙂

• 10 Mark // Oct 6, 2012 at 01:49

@ tracey.. 5 mgs a day is way too fast!! better think of 5 mgs a week! Even then you will feel sick.
    I was on 100 mgs a day en tampered down to 17,5 mgs a day now. This was done under medical supervision in a clinic. 5 mgs a week I got down.
    But still had pretty bad withdrawal.. good luck

• 11 Lyndzi // Dec 26, 2012 at 12:47

Hey, am also winging myself dow from methadone. was on 160 mg a day and i went down ten mg. Supposively ten mgs every two weeks can be a pretty good deal. Thats what I am goin to do, I didn’t even feel the ten I went down at all. Once you get down to 100 mgs , I’d start goin down 5 mgs a week or week n 1/2. Ive been told this from counselors w experience and also people too. Supposively, the hardest part is when you start getting down to 60 and 50 mgs. I am very scared. ve kicked heroin so manyu times, but according to EVERYONE ELSE that does methadone higher or lower mgs thn me, its so much longer and harsher. Tracey, I feel for you. Ive been on this shit for 2 1/2 years so, I’m terrified myself. Please write back.

• 12 Reece // Apr 9, 2013 at 21:22

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now
    each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the
    same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

Thanks!

• 13 mrs.ladyking // Apr 25, 2013 at 21:14

Our apologies for the delay. However, you don’t seem to be in our database.

• 14 Branden // Jun 2, 2013 at 21:17

Everyone talks so bad about methdome no wounder evryone scared to detox I was on 80 mg for 1 year an 8 months I did a 21 day detox at my clinic I was mentaly done with an type of drug im 22 years old I party since I was 16 I was doing opiates I recomend no one try opiates for the first time even if u never fone a drug in your life they will take hold of your mind an body an make u do things u would never do but back to the methdome the 21 days was bad but like I said im mentaly done with drugs this is my 1st methdome free I feel bad but if u stay strong minded u can over come it dont let people sayn it so bad comn off to scare u cause if u are attending a clinic chances are u exp wd before not for that long but be so long to get off makes u never wana go back so I look at that as a good thing dont let it over come you over come just reamber u control your brain your brain dont control u

• 15 fire wife // Mar 10, 2014 at 12:37

I have been by my boyfriends side while he goes through this and he is on weeks 5 day 36. He experienced everything other people on here have talked about. But his biggest problem is his restlessness and his legs. His legs are making him go insane. I have a problem though as I feel like he is letting this hurt our relationship and I feel like we are falling apart. He is never happy and I just feel like after 36 days his mood should have regulated by now. I guess I may not have a full understand on this but I’m trying everything to stand by his side, for he is doing this for me. But feel like he is always mad at me.